Friday, December 20, 2013

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS



Political correctness in this country has gotten way out of hand. Our citizens have the right to free speech and to voice their opinions.  Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not condoning the disrespect or bashing of anyone with different views than yours. EVERYONE has the right to their opinion and to voice it. If you don’t agree with someone’s opinion you have two choices. 1. Discuss it with the person. If you can’t agree, then you need to agree to disagree.  2. Don’t listen. It is as simple as that. As long as they are not inciting hate or violence, their opinion is their right. This includes public figures. There are a lot of public figures, of all races and religions that I don’t agree with. I follow rule number 2, I don’t listen. Getting offended and complaining because someone voices an opinion different than yours is ridicules. They are entitled to their opinions. Unfortunately at this time in America, it is the White Heterosexual Christians that are persecuted for their opinions. If you are a member of a minority race, religion, or sexual practice, you can publicly say whatever you want. You are even applauded for it. If someone doesn’t like your opinion, they are labeled as prejudice. Now, let me point out that I am not this pro white Christian heterosexual zealot, shouting from my soap box. I personally could care less about a person’s race, religion or sexual orientation. Now are there things I don’t agree with or understand about some various demographic groups, of course there are. That’s human nature. If asked my opinion am I going to answer truthfully, of course I am. Would my answer offend someone, now that depends on the individual listening. Do I wish any malice or ill will to anyone in any of these groups, of course not. Do I get offended if someone from one of these groups expresses their opinion, no, that is there right.

Let’s go to the most recent case of persecution in the media, Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty. Mr. Robertson is a “reality” television personality. He is paid to be himself on TV. He is a 67 year old man from the back woods of Louisiana with very devout Christian beliefs. He does not make any attempt to hide that on the show. He is who he is and will not change for anyone. I respect him for that. In a recent magazine article he was asked his opinion on homosexuality. Knowing what everyone in America knows about this man, his answer was no surprise. He answered the question in a truthful, respectful manner, with no hate or malice intended. His answer was rooted in his deep religious beliefs. Yet, this man is now being persecuted. This, in my opinion is wrong. As I said in the first line of this article, political correctness in this country has gotten way out of hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment