Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A TALE OF TWO TRAGEDIES



Today I attended the funeral of Deputy Christopher Smith. He was a family man who spent 25 years in law enforcement. He responded to a call for help and was gunned down by a coward in a pre-meditated ambush. Deputy Smith did not even have an opportunity to defend himself. To Deputy Smith, I would like to say Rest in Peace brother. To his family, I don’t feel I could express any words satisfactory to ease their suffering.

While attending his service I could not help but to think about the events going on in Ferguson Mo. at the moment. Officer Darrin Wilson was attacked and threatened by a suspect in a crime. The officer used his training and the tools provided to him to protect himself. Unfortunately the suspect, Michael Brown, was killed. Naturally an investigation was held, and as everyone knows, the grand jury did not find sufficient evidence to convict the Officer Wilson. An officer that was doing what he had been trained to do.

The above two stories are far too common occurrences in law enforcement. The most unsettling part is what has happened in Ferguson since the Grand Jury handed down their decision. Rioting, looting, and destroying businesses, homes and property. The people doing all of this are destroying their own neighborhoods. I just cannot see the logic in that. There has to be large gaping tears in the fabric of a society for this to happen. To the people of Ferguson I would like to say, if you want to make changes there are legal ways to go about it, not rioting. Before you can make any lasting change you must fix the fabric of your community. If you don’t like a strong police presence, work together and lower the crime rate. Work within your own community to teach your youth that crime is wrong. I know it is more difficult than spouting out a few words. It will take some real community leaders to make this happen.

I hesitate to bring up race, but feel I must. If Michael Brown was a young white man or if Officer Wilson was black, this case would not have even made the national news. But, because Michael Brown was black and Officer Wilson is white it attracted attention. It attracted the attention of men like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson (I refuse to use the title of Reverend with either of these two). These men have made a career out of racial unrest. They stir the pot at every chance they get. If there was no racial unrest in this country they would not have a forum for their hatred. I do not believe there would be near as much civil unrest in Ferguson if these two men and a few others like them did not stir the pot. They are experts at striking the spark that ignites the proverbial forest fire. To Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton I would like to say……….well polite society prevents me from saying what I would like to say. Let’s just say it involves having sex and you will be alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment