Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Call For A Vote



I read an article today about the governments push for gun control. One small paragraph in the article caught my attention. This paragraph was a quote from Vice President Joe Biden and is copied here: "The American people are way ahead of their political leaders," Biden argued. "And we, the president and I and the mayors, intend to stay current with the American people." My first feeling when reading this was “stay current”. That implies they ever were current. That in my opinion has never been the case. Most career politicians are way out of touch and not current with the majority of Americans. They hear what the special interest groups and the media feed them. They rarely know what the quiet majority of us want. 

That is the case for gun control. They see a grieving widow or parent and immediately think we want them to push for more control. The truth is that most people I know want our society fixed so we are not afraid of a person owning a gun, of any type.

With all the controversy over gun control I’m going to throw a wild notion out there. Let’s put it on the next ballot and let the people speak. The trick to this is it must stand on its own merit with no riders attached. Politicians are good at tacking negative items and riders to bills just to shoot down a good bill or to get something undesirable passed. A simple vote as to whether or not our elected official have to power to control a law abiding citizens right to own guns, any type of gun. Put it to the people.

I am not naive and I know this will never happen, but I am also not naive enough to believe our elected officials always have our best interest at heart. I know we elect our officials to represent us. But, when they start representing the minority over majority will, I believe it is time to put it to the people and let them speak.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you are thinking. There are a number of areas that we could use something like this. I have two concerns:

    1. I worry about all the claims of voter fraud recently. There was a time, the ballots had to be handled and counted in full sight of the public. We need that accountability back before I can trust a vote again. (Battle of Athens Tenn 1946)

    2. This doesn't apply to constitutional rights. We HAVE already voted on those by ratifying the constitution and its amendments. Those are rights are inalienable. Those rights are a part of being a self-sovereign living person and come to us naturally, not from a vote, our government or anywhere else. The constitution and bill of rights are merely the documented statement that e believe that to be true. If they want to change it, they need to abolish the constitution and have a new government charter ratified. If they feel that it needs to be changed for clarification, they need to use the proper process for that. They need to have an amendment ratified by at least 38 states.

    We are not a democracy. We are a constitutional republic. We have claimed certain rights that cannot be taken away by government or by "the people". Subjecting those rights to a vote undermines the entire concept of our current system of government in its charter, the constitution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your point and that the constitution was already ratified by a vote. I also agree that we have rights that can not be taken away by vote. The problem in that a handful of elected officials can take it on their own to vote on our rights. Anything listed in the constitution or bill of rights should really be off limits. My whole point is that we have said elected officials that are out of touch with most Americans. They look at themselves more as rulers not representatives and a call to vote may be a unfortunately risky way to wake them up. And yes voter fraud is a constant threat. I live in Florida. We probably have one of the worse records for voting problems.

    ReplyDelete